Turriff United 3-0 Lossiemouth – SHFL – 23rd August 2014

Lossiemouth left The Haughs with nothing following a hardworking shift against Turriff United. A first half featuring little in the way of goalmouth action was about to end goalless before goals from Nicholas Gray and Stuart Cumming scored two goals in as many minutes. As time ran out in the second half, Chris Herd fired home an undeserved third to end a miserable week for the Shire side.

Lossie were without the injured Scott Wilson and welcomed Willie Mathers back into the starting line-up. Turriff looked to put behind them a week which started with an 8-0 defeat at Brora Rangers continued with a loss to 9 man Fraserbugh, and was clouded further by allegations surrounding the fielding of an ineligible player earlier in the season.

Turriff started well, testing Hall with a couple of long range efforts, but for all their early pressure the hosts never really threatened to open the scoring. At the other end, Grant Mitchell found the side netting with a shot from inside the area. The Coasters were almost handed the opening goal when a slack backpass to Sim saw him forced to leave his box to clear under pressure from Dunn.

A half that looked like ending goalless then burst into life. Gary Harris sprinted down the wing before playing a pass across the box for Nicholas GRAY to slide home at the back post.

Moments later Turriff were two ahead. Lossie, still wobbling after conceding the opener, failed to deal with a cross into the box and Stuart CUMMING headed home.

Half time – Turriff United 2-0 Lossiemouth

The second half followed a template almost identical to that of the first. Both sides huffed away as they tried to either finish the game or get back into it, but both keepers remained relatively untested.

Scott Dunn went close for Lossie with a couple of on target free kicks, but both kicks sacrificed pace for accuracy and Sim held onto both. Turriff had similar chances with identical results, Andy Macaskill curling a 20 yard effort into the hands of hall. Craig Macaskill went closer in hitting the post holding up the net, and Shawn Scott rattled the crossbar direct from a corner, but neither keeper was being overworked in the shire drizzle.

Turriff added a shine to the scoreline with a late third goal when Chris HERD dashed into the box and fired beyond Hall as Lossie’s resistance finally cracked.

The defeat saw Lossie slip a couple of places down the table, while Turriff moved up to fifthand drew a line under a miserable week for the club. The Highland League now reverts to one game a week, with Inverurie Loco Works the next opposition for Lossie at Grant Park.

Full time – Turriff United 3-0 Lossiemouth

Lossiemouth – Connor Hall, Tony Ross, Darren Bailey, Chris Ross, Grant Mitchell, Kevin Duguid, Ryan Farquhar (Jordan McBain, 82), Scott Miller (Mark Hector, 89), Shawn Scott, Steven Dunn, William Mathers (Jordan Main, 71); Unused subs – Ryan Green, Scott Gordon, Scott Wilson, Greig Watson

Turriff United – Greg Sim, Lewis Davidson, Chris Herd, Stuart Cumming, Cammy Bowden, Aaron McKenna (Robbie Allan 90), Craig MacAskill (Kenny Mair 78), Paul Young, Gary Harris, Nick Gray (Aaron Shand 78), Andrew MacAskill; Unused subs – James Chalmers, James Brownie, Gary Davidson, Keirin McCaffrey

Referee – Ryan Milne


Comments are closed.