Fraserburgh 1-2 Lossiemouth – SHFL – 1st August 2015

Two second half goals from substitute Ryan Green helped Lossiemouth to their first win at Fraserburgh in almost ten years. Ryan Christie scored for the hosts early on as Lossie’s poor record at Bellslea looked like continuing, but an improved second half performance saw Lossie turn the game around.

The Coasters started with Connor Hall in goals, while Shawn Scott was absent through injury and Scott Miller missed out due to suspension, having been sent off in midweek against Brora. Fraserburgh were much changed from their previous meeting with Lossie in March, with top goal scorer Scott Barbour having departed with Kris Hunter to Formartine.

The game started in sunny conditions, with barely a cloud in the sky and a stiff breeze in Lossie’s favour. The conditions did nothing to draw a performance from the visitors, however, and after only eleven minutes Fraserburgh took the lead. A deep cross to the far post was left by everyone and an unmarked Ryan CHRISTIE stooped to head the ball past Hall.

Lossie were struggling to keep up with the hosts play and shortly after the goal the Broch missed a number of chances to double their lead. A shot from inside the area came back off the crossbar, and David Chambers was in the right place to prevent a goal bound effort from crossing the line. At the other end, Lossie slowly familiarised themselves with Broch goalkeeper Scott Cowe, who watched as a couple of long-range efforts flew past his goal.

A pitch invasion by a startled rabbit proved to be one of the more entertaining moments of the remainder of the half as Fraserburgh ran out of ideas, and Lossie saw the game through to the break without further loss.

HALF TIME – Fraserburgh 1-0 Lossiemouth

The blue skies of the first half disappeared during the interval and were replaced by clouds as black as the stripes on the home sides kit, and before the teams trotted back out the heavens had opened and torrential rain was falling. The second half was only a few minutes old when referee Tam Shaw withdrew the players from the pitch as first the rain, and then the thunder and lightning, worsened. A delay of almost fifteen minutes saw the visiting support seek cover from the elements in the dugout, before the sides reappeared and the game restarted.

The Broch managed a couple of early efforts at goal as the second half trudged on, with Hall reacting quickly to a pair of Johnston free kicks, pushing one away and holding another on the ground.

The game turned on a pair of substitutions made just before the hour. Joao Rodriguez and Jordan Main, the only survivor from the last time Lossie won at Bellslea, were replaced by Ally Bellingham and Ryan Green, and within a dozen or so minutes Lossie were in front.

The equaliser came from a free kick into the area and, once the ball had evaded the heads of two Broch players, it fell to the feet of GREEN, who had time for a touch before drilling a low left footed shot beyond Cowe

Seven minutes later Lossie moved in front, as the towering GREEN got his head to the ball at the back post and powered it over the line, despite a two handed attempt at a save from Cowe.

Lossie were now in command and with the weather brightening towards the end of the game, the Coasters did too, keeping Fraserburgh at arm’s length and never looking like conceding what would have been an undeserved equaliser, at least on the second half showing from both sides.

Lossiemouth now face Clachnacuddin at Grant Park this coming weekend, while Fraserburgh travel to Rothes.

FULL TIME – Fraserburgh 1-2 Lossiemouth

LOSSIEMOUTH – Connor Hall, Tony Ross, Jordan Main (Ally Bellingham 60), Chris Ross, Kevin Flett, Mark Hector, Ryan Farquhar, Willie Mathers, Ross Archibald (Bryan Bell 88), Joao Rodrigues (Ryan Green 60), David Chambers; Unused subs – Scott Gordon, Cameron Farquhar

FRASERBURGH – Scott Cowe, Marc Dickson, Bryan Hay, Ryan Cowie (Courtney Cooper), Ryan Christie, Stuart Taylor, John Chalmers (Jordi Walker 85), Willie West, PA Bruce, Graham Johnston, Grant Noble (Cameron Buchan); Unused subs – Aidan Combe, Russell McBride, Dean Cowie

REFEREE – Thomas Shaw