Wick Academy 0-2 Lossiemouth – Highland League Cup – 15th March 2014

Lossiemouth overcame a stubborn Wick Academy side to progress to the quarter-finals of the Breedon Aggregates Highland League Cup. Elliot Winter bagged his second goal in consecutive games to get the Coasters off and running, and a late Scott Dun penalty sealed the win against ten man Wick.

Lossie travelled with almost a full squad, with new recruit Shawn Scott thrown into the starting line-up for his fourth debut at the club. Willie Mathers was absent following a recall to parent club Formartine United, while Liam Archibald missed out due to injury.

The game started in blustery conditions with Wick donning the crampons to make their way up the hill, and the hosts struggled to deal with the conditions. Errol Watson looked bored as Wick pottered about in Lossies half without ever looking like creating a solid chance.

The last time the sides met they carved out a goalless draw and neither looked like scoring many today. Lossie were denied the opener late in the half when Grant Steven cleared off the line an effort from Ryan Farquhar, but that was as close as either side came to scoring in the first half.

Half time – Wick Academy 0-0 Lossiemouth

The game restarted with Lossie playing up the infamous Harmsworth Park slope and dealing with the wind pushing them on, but the hill proved no obstacle to Lossie who went on to dominate the remainder of the game.

The second half was only a few minutes old when the visitors took the lead. Callum Dunbar played a ball through the Wick defence to Elliot WINTER who fired it back across goal, past More and into the corner of the net. His second goal in four days, Winter would go on to claim the sponsors man of the match award for his efforts.

Wick Academy were visibly frustrated with how things were going and their game threatened to go to bits completely in the second half, but with Lossie only a goal in front Wick didn’t need much to get back into the game. The equaliser failed to come, however, and even the Scorries attempts to claim a penalty went wrong, as a brouhaha in the box following a Kevin Flett challenge on David Allan ended with Sam Mackay being sent off for raising his hands.

Lossie sealed the win with an injury time penalty. Breaking from their own half, Lossie attacked with pace and Scott Dunn was brought down inside the area by More. Once the keeper was booked for the challenge, DUNN stepped up and put the ball away to send the Coasters into the draw for the next round.

The win sees Lossiemouth into the quarter-finals and the Coasters face a game against Huntly at Christie Park for a place in the final four. While Lossie remain in the bottom five in the league, a cup tie at Huntly is a winnable one and a cup run would be a fine way to end a season that has seen improvement on the park.

Full time – Wick Academy 0-2 Lossiemouth

Lossiemouth – Errol Watson, Tony Ross, Scott Wilson, Kevin Flett, Grant Mitchell, Greig Watson, Ryan Farquhar, Callum Dunbar (Scott Dunn, 86), Shawn Scott (Jordan McBain, 80), Elliot Winter (Ryan Green, 67), Darren Bailey; Goals – Elliot Winter (50), Scott Dunn (90, pen); Booked – Darren Bailey, Scott Wilson; Unused subs – Jamie McKinnon, Steven Dunn

Wick Academy – James More, Michael Steven, Gary Manson, Alan Farquhar, Grant Steven, Craig Shearerycard, Stevie Cunningham, Sam Mackayrcard, Gary Weir (Lukasz Geruzel 69), Richard Macadie, Davie Allan; Goals – none; Booked – James More, Craig Shearer, David Allan; Sent off – Sam Mackay (87); Unused subs – Shaun Sinclair, Alan Hughes, James Pickles, Michael Gray