Lossiemouth 1-3 Turriff United – SHFL – 29th March 2014

Lossiemouth played their last home league game of the season against Turriff United and were narrowly beaten on an afternoon of high drama at a sunny Grant Park. Nicholas Gray scored in either half to put the guests ahead before Kevin Flett reduced the deficit with a well taken penalty. Aaron Shand secured the points for Turriff late on before Shawn Scott and Callum Dunbar were controversially sent off by referee Graham Fraser.

Lossie were without the suspended Darren Bailey but otherwise had a full squad to choose from as they looked to build on their draw with Cove in midweek. Turriff showed up without a manager, with the club having sacked Mark Simpson in midweek only a few weeks after coaxing him into signing a two year deal with the club.

The game started awkwardly for Lossie. A collision between Grant Mitchell and Paul Young inside the first minute floored the big centre half and after several minutes of treatment Mitchell was ushered off the pitch with his head scarred and bandaged, and replaced by Jamie McKinnon.

The midweek exertions against Cove were affecting Lossie and Callum Dunbar also went down injured early in the half, with Turriff playing on and forcing Errol Watson into the first save of the game to keep the game goalless.

McCaffrey in action again
McCaffrey in action again

Away from the medical problems, referee Graham Fraser was fighting several battles of his own making, in particular one with Shawn Scott which began more or less from the first peep of the whistle, saw Biscuits into the book after half an hour and continued through to an eventful last minute.

The visitors took the lead midway through the first half when Nicholas GRAY prodded home from close range.

Jamie McKinnon followed Biscuits into the book, and Lossie were becoming increasingly frustrated with the referees performance. Callum Dunbar attempted to get his side back on level terms, lashing a long range shot towards goal only to see it slice wide of the post.

Half time – Lossiemouth 0-1 Turriff United

Turriff doubled their lead minutes into the second half. A headed backpass from Dunn lacked the power to make it to Watson and GRAY ran onto the loose ball before thumping home with the Lossie keeper stood watching.

Lossie were back in the game before the hour was up. A change of kicker was required following Dunbar’s miss on Wednesday, and Kevin FLETT stepped up to convert, squeezing the ball past the flying McCaffrey who went the right way but found his arms too short.

Kevin Flett tucks away a penalty to reduce the deficit to one
Kevin Flett tucks away a penalty to reduce the deficit to one

The game continued to flow from end to end, with James Brownie heading wide while unmarked, and at the other end Jamie McKinnon did the same from a Dunbar free kick. Ryan Green went even closer when he connected with a Shawn Scott cross, but sent his header across the face of goal and wide.

Turriff put the game beyond doubt with a third goal in the closing stages. Aaron SHAND let fly from outside the area and was already celebrating the quality of the strike before realising it had gone in off the underside of the bar.

Having spent 90 minutes arguing with Shawn Scott, Graham Fraser finally got his man in the last minute and the antics of the cowardly James Brownie played a major part as Fraser saw an opportunity to send off the Lossie man. A stoppage in play in front of the Turriff dugout saw Scott and Brownie indulge in some jawing at close quarters, and the Turriff man ended the verbal spar by flinging himself theatrically to the deck, squealing like a pig and claiming Biscuits had stood on his toes. Upon being told to return to his feet, Brownie was booked for his trouble, before Fraser issued the card he’d seemingly been waiting for, a second yellow for Scott.

Fraser had the last word soon after, flashing a second red card to a Lossie player, this time to a perplexed Callum Dunbar.

The sight of the Turriff management team trying to defend the pathetic behaviour of Brownie added fuel to the fire as the players left the pitch at full time and led to more heated arguments, and Fraser received an extraordinary level of criticism from both sets of fans, players and officials as he left to collect his fee.

Full time – Lossiemouth 1-3 Turriff United

Lossiemouth – Errol Watson, Tony Ross, Scott Wilson (Ryan Farquhar, 29), Kevin Flett, Grant Mitchell (Jamie McKinnon, 9) Greig Watson, Scott Miller, Callum Dunbar, Shawn Scott, Ryan Green, Scott Dunn (Jordan McBain, 86); Unused subs – Elliot Winter, Liam Archibald; Goals – none; Booked – Shawn Scott, Jamie McKinnon, Scott Dunn; Sent off – Shawn Scott (90), Callum Dunbar (90)

Turriff United – Kieran McCaffrey, Davidson, Christopher Herd, Cumming, Cammy Bowden, Paul Young, McKenna, James Brownie, Gary Harris, Nicholas Gray (Aaron Shand, 55), Andy Macaskill; Unused subs – Lewis Davidson, Robbie Allan, Gary McGowan, Greg Sim; Goals – Nicholas Gray (30, 50), Aaron Shand (90); Booked – Christoper Herd, James Brownie; Sent off – none

Referee – Graham Fraser

One comment

Comments are closed.