Lossiemouth 3-2 Fort William – North of Scotland Cup – 26th July 2014

Lossiemouth overcame a stubborn Fort William side to set up a quarter-final tie against Forres Mechanics. New signing Darren Bailey and Shawn Scott were the goalscorers, but it took a last gasp point blank save from Errol Watson to ensure Lossie progressed into the next round.

Errol Watson held off the challenge of summer signing Connor Hall to retain the number one shirt, while Darren Bailey made his first start for Lossie since signing from Formartine United.

The game was a mere seven minutes old when Lossie opened the scoring. Shawn Scott tore down the right wing before playing the ball back across the face of goal, where it was met by Darren BAILEY who almost burst the net in finishing from an unmarked position.

The Coasters suffered a blow when Chris Ross was substituted following a nasty collision with Fort keeper Robin Harvey. Ross was replaced by his brother Tony and was taken to hospital to be stitched up.

Despite the early goal, Lossie failed to settle and never looked at ease against a limited Fort side. The visitors made the most of Lossie’s lack of bite when they pounced to score a deserved equaliser. Ryan MACLEOD escaped the attentions of the Lossie defence to sidefoot home from inside the area.

Lossie salvaged a second goal late in the half, when Shawn SCOTT rifled home from a dozen yards after an assist from Kevin Duguid.

Half time – Lossiemouth 2-1 Fort William

The second half was a stop-start affair, with substitutions and injuries interrupting the flow of both sides. Keith Millar came off worst in a collision with Ryan Farquhar and was stretchered off after an hour.

Lossie looked to have put the game to bed when Shawn SCOTT bagged his second goal of the evening, and his sides third of the afternoon. Despite slipping inside the penalty area while in possession, Biscuits managed to get away a shot that spun across the turf past Harvey before going in off the far post. The goal should have allowed Lossie to take a breath and compose themselves, but Fort continued to look like scoring and avoided letting their heads go down.

The game was almost turned on its head as time ran out. Fort William pulled a goal back through Mark RIPPON after good work from Danny Mackintosh, and almost immediately after Errol Watson had to make a point blank save from Jack McKay to prevent the game from being decided by a penalty shoot-out.

Lossie clung on to their lead and now face Forres Mechanics in the quarter-finals on the evening of Wednesday, August 13th, with the outcome to be decided on the night. Before then, Lossiemouth begin their league campaign with a home tie against Keith this coming Saturday.

Full time – Lossiemouth 3-2 Fort William

Lossiemouth – Errol Watson, Chris Ross (Tony Ross, 25), Kevin Flett, Scott Gordon (Greig Watson, 71), Grant Mitchell, Kevin Duguid, Ryan Farquhar, Scott Miller, Shawn Scott, Ryan Green, Darren Bailey (Scott Wilson, 67); Unused subs – Connor Hall, Jordan McBain, Wallace Rodger

Fort William – Robin Harvey, Iain Foggo, Fraser Macfarlane (David Moffat, 61), Darren Quigg, William Gemmell, Stephen Macritchie, Danny Mackintosh, Keith Millar (Barna Tot, 61), Matt Rippon, Michael Ellis (Jack McKay, 43), Ryan Macleod – Unused subs – David Forbes, Callum Browett

One comment

Comments are closed.